To enable BOM versioning in an organization please follow the steps:
- Enable BOM versioning in custom settings by setting the property called “BOM Versioning enabled ” to true (checkbox field)
- Add Default field to the BOM object layout, and then make sure to check this field for all BOMs existent in the system (create a view on BOM tab, add the Default field on this view and mass update BOMS)
Now that BOM versioning is enabled you will see some modifications in the system:
- On the Item master page for items that are BOM, you will see that BOM Lines view is changed, and you can create more than one BOM for the same item by cloning an existing BOM or by adding a new one using the + sign shown in the BOM Lines vie page. For each BOM you can set a version and a revision. You can add BOM lines to all the BOMs that you create for the same item.
- On the Add Sales Order Lines view – you will get a column called BOM, where you can select a BOM if the item is defined as a BOM
- On the purchase order lines view you have a column where you can select which BOM should be used for the line if the item on Purchase Order Line is a BOM
- On Production Work Order you must add the field called BOM to the layout so you can select which BOM you want to use for the item you have on the PWO
If no BOM is selected on the Purchase Order Line, Sales Order Line, or Production Work Order, the default one is used for that item.
- On the view BOM page, you will get a picklist to select which BOM you want to see exploded for an item – if the item has more than one BOM defined.
- If more than one BOM have been defined for an item you must make one of them as default, otherwise, when the item is added to Sales Order Lines, Purchase Order Lines or Production Work Orders – no lower level materials information will be loaded. So one item must have one, and only one default BOM defined.