Serial Number Nomenclature Options
Under Admin Settings, you have many options regarding how to handle serial number assignments:
- Prefix. Ascent allows you to mandate that every serialized item have a prefix. This prefix can be alpha numeric.
- Serial Number Length. This will limit the length of the numeric portion of the serial number.
- Suffix. If desired, Ascent can mandate that the serial number ends with this alpha numeric field.
- Allow Auto Generation of Serial Number? If this is set to yes, Ascent will use this as an odometer to automatically number the numeric portion of the serial number. Please note that once you set to yes, every time you receive serialized items/ build serialized BOMs, you don’t need to enter the serial number manually.
- Allow Only Digits in Serial Number. Setting this to “Yes” will preclude the user of prefix or suffix.
How to mandate Item movement by Serial Number for those items that are serially controlled.
Under “Admin Settings” , you would need to select this field and say “Yes”
How to allow Cycle Counting by Serial Number for those items that are serially controlled.
Select this field and say “yes”.
How to Turn on Serial Number Tracking for an Item Master
In order to track serial numbers for an item, you have to go to the item master.
Under Item Settings, you must check the box for “Serialize?”. If you do, then this item will require serial numbers for all items in inventory. Additionally, if any of the following four fields are selected, then you will be required to also enter this data:
- Mac Address
- Software Version
- Software key
- Firmware Version
- Hardware Version