Using Count Journals is a way to perform inventory counts for a number of reasons:
- Physical Inventory
- Cycle Counting
- Spot Inventory Adjustments
- Initial Database Loading
System set-up considerations:
- If lots are turned on, then every count journal entry will require that a lot be selected
- If you wish to count serial numbered items, then there is a custom setting (“Enable Count by Serial Number”) that must be set to “Y”
- Leaving the status at “Pending” will NOT update inventory; only upon changing the status to “Approved”
Please understand that by creating a Count Journal, you are only affecting inventory for those entries you add. Count Journals does NOT automatically create an entry for all items in your inventory. Count Journals will NOT zero out or update inventory if you do not create an entry into a Count Journal table. Count Journals will only update inventory for those items you “Add” to a Count Journal and convert the status of the line to “Approve”.
Count Journal Procedure: First, you must select “Count Journals” from either your tab menu or by hitting the “+” sign on your tab menu and selecting “Count Journals”. The following screen will appear.
To create a new Count Journal, select “New”
Enterable fields are:
- Description – this field should be used to reasonably describe the purpose of this count journal. Examples are “Inv Start-Up Count” or “2-28-12 Location FG-HOU Cycle Count”.
- Date – this is the date the Count Journal was created. You can either enter your own date, or hit the date that is being displayed (that is underlined) and select that date.
- Count type – there are three options. They all perform the same function; however, you might want to classify them differently.
- Cycle Count
- Physical Count
- Status – there are four statuses.
- Not Approved
- Save – selecting this will save the entry.
- Save and New – selecting this will allow you to save the entry and create another one.
- Cancel – selecting this will cancel any changes you made to previously entered data or if this is a new entry, not allow it to be created.
Once hitting save on a new entry, the following screen will appear, giving you the ability to start entering count information.
You can start entering counts (or at least set up items to be counted) by selecting “NEW”
Enterable fields for a non-serially controlled item are:
- Item - You can enter an item, or use the search field to select an item.
- Lot – if lot tracking is turned on, the system will display all the lots in inventory.
- Quantity Counted – initially, this field will be blank. This is where you will enter the quantity you actually counted.
- Quantity in Inventory – this is the field that Ascent has in inventory.
- Status – this field has several values:
- Pending – this will not update quantity in inventory
- Approved – by selecting this field, you are stating that the value you have entered in Quantity Counted is indeed correct, and can overlay the Quantity in Inventory.
- Not Approved – system will NOT use Quantity Counted to update Quantity in Inventory.
Now, for a serially controlled item in inventory, the screen would look like this
When you are ready to approve these counts, you need to change the status on these lines to “Approve”.
Then, select “Save”